Splitting up? You can seek spousal maintenance (alimony)

There are a variety of different factors that play a role in seeking spousal maintenance. One common factor that we see at Denis M. Gravel & Associates, P.C., is being a stay-at-home-parent. Of course, being a stay-at-home-parent has its advantages by saving the family money when it comes to daycare or babysitting.

Now, at 41, your spouse is seeking a divorce. You can’t understand why, but you can’t stop it. Individuals in these positions are worried and unsure about how they are going to pay their bills. You can get a new job in your field, but it may take more education to catch up with your peers. Now, what should you do? Denis M. Gravel & Associates, P.C., can ensure that you receive an adequate amount of spousal maintenance, formally known as “spousal support” or “alimony”.

If you need spousal maintenance, don’t be afraid to seek it

If you do need spousal maintenance, you shouldn’t be afraid of asking for it. All this time, your position as a stay-at-home parent has allowed your spouse to pursue his career. Even if you can return to work, it may be costly and require additional support to make sure you can still take care of your child and get the education you need to move up in your career.

When you look at your income, how much do you need to support yourself? Make sure you create a budget, and your attorney can help you negotiate for the money you need as you focus on getting back to work and resuming your career after the divorce.